The Internet has a lot of things to offer especially to those who spend more time going online. However, there are also bad and good things that can be encountered on the web. Because of this issue, it is important for parents to protect their children from online threats. Some of the common problems encountered by children these days are cyber bullying, identity theft and other privacy issues.
Here are some steps for parents or guardians to guide their children in the proper use of internet:
1. Check all modern devices that can access the internet and set rules or filters for each of them. As long as there’s wireless broadband at home or around the area, children can access the internet through their PDA, smartphones and game units.
2. Modify internet browser settings to ensure online safety. Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and other browsers have settings that can be easily customized.
3. Set limit for administrative priveleges of your kid’s account. As long as they can online, they can always download and install software without you being aware of it. But by restricting access, you can prevent them from doing so especially that there is a high risk of downloading malware or spyware from the Internet. If they really want to install something, they can askk for your permission first.
4. Activate your computer or laptop’s firewall. This will help secure your broadband connection so no one can hack into your account while your children is online.
5. Install a security software and configure the settings according to the type of users. There are all-in-one security software which has antispyware, antivirus, and firewall protection in one. On top of that, there are certain features that promotes online safety especially for kids. Look for internet security software which has parental controsl feature. This way, you can restrict internet content and set an access schedule for your kids.
6. Use a content-filterning program to block social networking sites and search engines that are not appropriate for kids.
7. Monitor your kid’s behavior. You should know if there are issues concerning your children. Talk to them and educate them about online safety.
8. Block instant messaging tools that will allows children to make phonecalls over the internet.
9. Disable video cameras and built-in devices within the PC that transmit information over that web as soon as you connect online.
10. Know the laws that can affect you such as privacy laws and copyright laws so that you can contact the right person or department if you need immediate assistance. You should also know whom to report certain issues like cyberbullying and harassment.
Aside from these tips, it is really important to educate your kids and increase their awareness about online threats and safety. There will always be risk when accessing the internet but it can be minimized by using the right approach. One is to find a reliable internet security software that will protect your devices, data, privacy, family and social network.
Protect Your Kids Online (image credits: npr.org )